Home of the Knights and Damsels

Follow us on Facebook

Crest2 2

Is your child having difficulty in school?

Do you think your child may have special needs?

Might your child qualify for special education services?

A comprehensive psycho-educational evaluation may help answer your questions. Does your child have a disability? Is he or she in need of specially designed instruction? If you believe that your child may be in need of a special education program, an evaluation process to assess your child’s educational profile is available to you at no cost through Union School District. A special education program often involves adapting materials and modifying instruction to better meet your child’s specific learning needs. 

In order to request an evaluation, you will need to put your request in writing and address it to the building principal of your child’s school. If you request these services, you may be asked to meet with the student support team in your child’s school (or the school your child would attend in Union) to discuss your concerns. You may be asked to consider early intervening services prior to conducting a full evaluation. 

An evaluation cannot be scheduled until you have signed a written notice indicating that you give your consent to proposed assessments and procedures. When you return the notice to school, the formal evaluation will begin. Your child will be evaluated by a team of experts trained in assessing children. A school psychologist will coordinate the educational team assembled for your child. Depending on the necessary components of the proposed evaluation, the district may contract with the Riverview Intermediate Unit 6 for specific services. You will be a member of your child’s evaluation team as well. The team assembled for your child will ultimately decide if your child has a disability and, if so, whether specially designed instruction is in order. 

After the formal evaluation has taken place and your child has been found to be eligible for special education services, an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) will be developed with your participation. The IEP will be based on your child’s identified needs. The plan will also propose appropriate supports and services to meet those needs. If you wish to accept the proposed IEP, your child will receive those services within a public school setting. 

If you are interested in finding out more about the special education process, please contact Union’s Director of Special Education, Mrs. Lindsey Cookson at 814-473-3121
FileFile sizeLast modified
Download this file (Annual Public Notice.pdf)Annual Public Notice.pdf3633 kB07-19-2021 10:12
Download this file (parents-rights-2-4-19wba.pdf)parents-rights-2-4-19wba.pdf1122 kB07-19-2021 10:13
Download this file (Public Notice of Special Education.pdf)Public Notice of Special Education.pdf285 kB07-19-2021 10:12

Upcoming Events